Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Juice

I'm not going to say I thought this was a piece of art. To be perfectly honest I didn't really quite understand why I was supposed to read this book, but I've got to write a blog about it so here it is.
After reading the segment Proportion Surviving I have to say that I thought this was a very pointless segment. It seemed to be nothing more than a memoir (I know it's fiction) of a lost time before the apple crisis. Apparently when their weren't fresh apples around it was a very dark time, it's kind of like Mad Max only worse...
I of course know that the juice is a symbol of losing something that you once loved. You take for granted what you have, you keep thinking you have "the same juice" but in reality it changes. And of course, one day, it'll be gone. 
As far as being an interesting story I really wasn't super in to it. I feel like there is a demographic and young adult male definitely isn't it. Essentially Rennee talked about her lovers and apples, and how she liked tough vegatables. She looks back on the good old days when she wanted to work with juice, and when she had a lover who slept a lot. I'll be honest that is all I got from this, there wasn't really a plot just an idea not a story. I don't think this was trying to be a story however, I feel like this was trying to sound realistic.
As far as writing styles is concerned I noticed it was very personable. Renee likes to write with numbers, and using descriptive writing instead of using the iceberg principle. There was definitely a sonnet poetry style that occurred in the stories. She tries to make the reader relate to the story, to feel how she feels, in her shoes. However, it is kind of hard to relate to her, I just live in too different of a world.
Juice just isn't for me, I hope to read a sci-fi story soon.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, good start, keep going and see if you can be a bit more constructive considering that in college courses you get assignments that you may not like but that are assigned for other reasons. Focus in on some of the more concrete points that you make here and expand, give some more examples from the text, discuss in terms of the various elements including language and structure and see what the stories are doing.

    13/20

    ReplyDelete